What Sault Ste. Marie Has to Offer
At the centre of Canada (one-hour flight from Toronto) and right on the US border, Sault Ste. Marie (known locally as "The Soo") is eager to help assist productions. Sault Ste. Marie has dozens of historical buildings, many unoccupied and ready for filming. The Soo’s dedicated Film, Television and Digital Media Coordinator is available to help with location support, crew and community resources, financial incentives, and a streamlined permit process.
For more information about filming in Sault Ste. Marie, contact Rob Riselli, CION's Film Programs and Reporting Supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sault Ste. Marie Advantages
Shooting in Sault Ste. Marie means:
- No permit fees
- Several unoccupied locations ready for filming: warehouses, restaurants, stores, schools, and even a former jail.
- Sault College has a dedicated Film Production program with a 1,350 square foot production space, production offices (that have hosted 5 feature films to date), and plenty of opportunity for student interns.
- Amazing access to boreal forest, waterfronts, picturesque rolling hills, rock cliffs, waterfalls, farms, and other rural locations in the surrounding area, known in particular for its beautiful fall colours due to the plentiful hardwood trees.
- Easy access to Lake Superior, the world's largest freshwater lake, which can easily double for an ocean and features several stunning beaches with crystal clear blue water.
- Ease of travel to the city made possible by two local airports. The Sault Ste. Marie Airport is a 20-minute drive from downtown. Fly US-based actors/producers into the Sault Ste. Marie Michigan airport for lower travel costs and ease of conducting immigration formalities at the land crossing.
- Infrastructure that supports film, television, and music.