Starting September 26, 2020, employers must actively screen every worker before they enter the workplace at the start of their shift as described in the instructions issued by the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health.
- Active screening may be done in person at the workplace or remotely using telephone, internet (online), email submission or an app prior to entry.
- Actively screen each person entering the workplace for work purposes, including workers, volunteers, suppliers and contractors.
- Screening should occur before or when the person arrives at the workplace at the beginning of their shift or visit.
- Use the COVID-19 screening tool for workplaces or ensure that your screening process includes all the questions from the screening tool.
- A screener should advise anyone who does not pass the screening:
- that they may not enter the workplace, including any outdoor, or partially outdoor, workplaces
- to go home to self-isolate immediately
- to contact their health care provider or Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000) to find out if they need a COVID-19 test and for further instructions
Make sure screeners receive information and instruction on how to perform this work safely and what to do if a person must be excluded from the workplace.
You can also:
- screen visitors and clients by phone or through an app before they arrive for their appointment
- consider actively monitoring workers for symptoms more than once during their shift