How the Ontario Lockdown Affects Film, TV and Music
An important update on the Province-Wide Shutdown restrictions announced by Premier Doug Ford.
In an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19, the province has made the difficult decision to increase public health restrictions across Ontario over the coming weeks. The new regulations allow film and television production, post-production, visual effects and animation, including all supporting activities such as hair, makeup and wardrobe to proceed with the following restrictions:
· No studio audiences permitted to be on the film or television set
· No more than 10 performers may be permitted to be on the film or television set
· Set must be configured and operated in such a way as to enable persons on the set to maintain a physical distance of at least two metres from other persons, except where necessary for the filming of the film or television production
· Persons who provide hair or makeup services must wear appropriate personal protective equipment
· Singers and players of brass or wind instruments must be separated from any other performers by plexiglass or some other impermeable barrier
Please note, the number of performers allowed on set is limited to 10, inclusive of background performers. This limitation is on performers only and does not apply to crew members (who can safely social distance and wear masks).
The Province-Wide Shutdown starts at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, December 26, 2020. The restrictions are in effect for all of Ontario from Saturday, December 26, 2020 to Saturday, January 9, 2021. The restrictions would remain in effect from Saturday, January 9, 2021 to Saturday, January 23, 2021 for all 27 public health unit regions in Southern Ontario (Northern Ontario is exempt at this time). Northern Ontario is subject to a Two Week Lockdown while Southern Ontario is subject to a 28 day Lockdown.
It is important to note that ability for the film and TV sector to continue to operate during such severe restrictions is a testament to continued efforts by all film workers and government partners to maintain healthy and safe workplaces.
The Province-wide Shutdown News Release can be found here
The Province-wide Shutdown Measures can be found here
*Please see page 21 for more information about the film and television industry. Southern Ontario public health units are listed in Appendix A.