DOC Institute’s New Visions Incubator, an artistic documentary-focused mentorship program for young filmmakers across Ontario, is now accepting applications.
The 8-month program is a unique blend of creative mentorship, story development, practical resources, & networking opportunities that will guide filmmakers through the development stage of their documentary projects. Over the course of the program, participants will develop the practical knowledge, creative materials, & pitch documents to get camera-ready.
The New Visions Incubator is developed in partnership with Belleville Downtown DocFest and in collaboration with Regent Park Film Festival and Music and Film in Motion Sudbury. The program will have three locations across Ontario. Filmmakers must be located within proximity to one of the Incubator’s hubs in order to participate:
Southern Ontario (Toronto)
Central Ontario (Belleville)
Northern Ontario (Sudbury)
Over the course of the program, participants will attend:
* An intimate 3-day bootcamp on documentary storytelling, led by award-winning director and producer Chanda Chevannes, to develop project ideas into workable documentary concepts.
* Ongoing monthly meetups with local Lead Mentors and peers, with a focus on further developing participants’ creative projects and equipping participants with the resources and connections to move forward. (NOTE: Northern Ontario participants will have their monthly meetings via online video conference.)
* A 3-day networking and industry forum in Toronto, including access to the Regent Park Film Festival. (A portion of transportation costs will be covered for out-of-town participants.)
In addition, they will have exclusive access to:
* Masters Series Video Library: a set of training videos and short seminars from documentary’s leading creative voices.
* Survival Toolkit: an online dossier of practical filmmaking templates & resources, including call sheets, budgets, and legal documents.
* An ongoing alumni network.
Applications are due on March 26, 2017 at 11:59PM EST.
This project is funded by the Government of Ontario and the Ontario150 Partnership Program.
Northern Ontario is a unique regional production destination that is spread over a vast geographical area. Offering a growing roster of skilled local crew, quality services and diverse locations, the region is well-equipped to host your film or television project. Click on the Links below to learn more about shooting in Northern Ontario.
Shot Up Here: Our list of over one hundred film and television productions made in Northern Ontario.
Infrastructure and Services: We have the infrastructure, equipment and services you need.
Visit our Communities: Each of our six main production centres (Greater Sudbury, North Bay, Parry Sound, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay & Timmins), offers something unique for your production.
From Thunder Bay to North Bay, film production companies are active across Northern Ontario. A growing group of homegrown producers, filmmakers, liasons and consultants are available to offer guidance and experience relating to the unique challenges of shooting in this area. They are dedicated to growing the regional film industry and have the expertise to service visiting productions large and small. These homegrown individuals can help you develop your project to fit what the region offers, from concept to script to shoot to screen. See our directory of Northern film producers, liasons and consultants to find the right fit for your project.